Thursday 13 September 2012

Summer Film Project


Our initial task over the Summer was to select a film with interesting and well-arranged visuals, and create 18 A5 images from it. The brief suggested choosing one frame, then producing 17 other consecutive frames from this- though I chose to alter my approach, and select different scenes from throughout the film. I preferred this approach simply due to the freedom it allowed me, giving better variety in the produced images. My selected film was Quentin Tarantino's 'Inglourious Basterds', which I picked for it's trademark drama and over-the-top intensity; plenty of good expressive close-up shots of characters, and comic book-like action scenes. For my images, I decided a comic-like series of sketches would be befitting of the nature of the content. I chose to draw in Biro, with no colour aside from bold red and black ink, with red being especially dominant in the film. I feel this style gives the desired visual impact, though my sketches are of mixed quality when it came to faces- an unfortunate difference between shading with Biros and pencils, is that you cannot control as finely (or alter) the subtlety of the necessary hatching and cross-hatching with a Biro. Because of this, any imperfections just had to be made the best of, with shading often looking too harsh. I'm definitely more comfortable using pencils, though I enjoy drawing with pens too. These examples are among my favourites, though the piece featuring Zoller lacks the level of likeness I believe I achieved with the other three shown.


Work in progress...

...

...and finished.

Bridget Von Hammersmark

Shosanna Dreyfus

Hans Landa

Fredrich Zoller





No comments:

Post a Comment