Tuesday 18 September 2012

Illustrating The Spirit Animal Story

My initial plan for the images related to the story was to produce detailed drawings like that in the banner, though I chose to branch away from this idea in favour of a more experimental, stylised series of pieces. The almost silhouette-like appearance of ravens lent itself well to the manner in which I chose to depict them, using black ink over water-coloured backgrounds. I decided to carry forward the ink-splattered aesthetic of the film project, as well as the use of red, drawing inspiration from the '300' comics / graphic novel by Frank Miller and Lynn Varley. This aspect is especially evident in the first image featured. These are four of my illustrated scenes:






Overall, I was pleased with the outcome for a style I had never previously tried, though the ink and brush choice proved to yield less precise forms than I would have liked. The results could perhaps be considered to be a quirk of the style, although it definitely compromised on consistency of form through some of my images. I have been looking into alternatives / means of overcoming this particular issue. 

The inspiration cited: 



No comments:

Post a Comment