Monday 14 April 2014

Portfolio Review - Greg Leach

It was suggested by my tutors that I approach Greg Leach, Photography tutor and Critical Theorist, for a portfolio review from the perspective of someone particularly knowledgeable in areas to which my work currently relates to (As also suggested by Fig). More than half of the images in my portfolio are photography, so this made sense. He kindly agreed to meet me and look through it, and gave the following feedback: He was positive about the quality of the photography work in general (focussing on this side of my work as per our initial discussion), Specifically, he noted my use of angles and also dynamic light and shadow in the black and white city photos, and also commented as to the aesthetics of the final page of coloured photo-composite textures; he felt they were interesting, asking as to their construction and offered some interpretations as to how they appeared to him. This engaging and slightly enigmatic quality is exactly what I would hope for with such images. After the more specific commentary, Greg addressed my approach with photography more broadly and described the selection of images as reminiscent of a 'Magpie' approach, each piece interesting yet somewhat disparate and reflective (pun unintended) of different intentions / aspects of the medium (e.g. incidental documentary, or intentionally sought aesthetics). This observation is ultimately on-point, partially because of my very open approach to the subject at this point and lack of specific direction, but also as a product of the fact that I have intentionally tried to present variety in my choices- this issue may be resolved if I were to construct a separate and more substantial portfolio specifically for photography, containing more examples of each variety of photo. That way, the impression that differing photos have 'come from nowhere' so to speak will no longer be the case, as solid themes will be apparent. His advice in this respect also was to take a more 'grounded' approach and work to briefs and constraints (whether set by myself or others) in order to demonstrate skills in response to criteria, and to show the use of interesting visuals and compositions to convey concepts and ideas, not just necessarily appeal to the eye. I already feel that certain concepts and themes have organically arisen in my photography through reflecting retrospectively and seeing patterns emerge, but I agree that setting out with intention is the next step forward. The review was insightful and helpful, and I look forward to taking the next steps with this advice in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment