Sunday 8 December 2013

Self-Directed Project 2

For the project that would lead up until Christmas, I chose to do the third option for the second self-directed project, which allowed the freedom of choosing a theme to work with, on the basis that the subject would have depth and the potential to be well-researched. After deliberating on a couple of different ideas, I initially decided to base my work on a collection of old news extracts (spanning over 200 years) that I had come across from where I used to live, given to me by a neighbour. They had been collated from old papers and locally archived documents, type-written up and chronologically ordered in a book. Here are some examples I particularly liked after reading through:





I found the quirky nature of some of the stories interesting and potentially good for illustrating. I began some brief concepts relating to the above supernatural-related extracts while trying to work out how to approach the stories in terms of media, format, development...etc. None of my ideas seemed to have the potential to be substantial with the source material I had to work with, as I decided that I would need a focus, requiring a decent number of similar extracts to illustrate and yield a cohesive collection. After looking, there was unfortunately little else in a similar vein to the snippets I had hoped to draw upon. After some time, I eventually decided to change my project theme for something I found more possibilities in, with room for experimentation. The following are some of my initial results working with the 'Mad dogs' idea, before I switched project themes.





I still feel the idea of illustrating some of these stories has potential, and is something I may revisit in my own time with less factors to restrict it.









No comments:

Post a Comment