Sunday 1 December 2013

Hopes, Fears and Opportunities

During a group discussion on the subject of 'Hopes, Fears and Opportunities' earlier on in the year, we shared and talked through our different thoughts and concerns on the matter, and how best to address them. My main 'fears' I identified regarding the course and my career in the creative industry in general included: Producing work that isn't of a commercial-friendly / marketable nature, not having a consistent style or visual identity, and taking on the impending 8000 word dissertation (while also maintaining my standard of work during the most hectic period). The first of the two issues were raised by others also, being fairly common concerns for students- especially at this stage of the course.

On the subject of marketable work, it was suggested and agreed that despite the concern, it's not wise to attempt to change what you're producing in order to second-guess a target audience whose interests are likely constantly changing (what's currently fashionable...etc), and that the best approach is retain creative integrity and work with what interests you- the logic being that if you're passionate about what you're doing, then other people will be likely to have an interest in your work also. Therefore, you don't necessarily have to 'sell-out' and sacrifice personal interests and creative preferences to make money. The aim I derived from this was simply to continue working on subjects that interest me, which I have done through the selection of 'Authorstrator' projects.

In regards to the concern over consistency of style, the advice offered has been to not worry over this, as it is something that develops organically and not always a result you can always successfully consciously create. Though I still feel a more distinctive, consistent aesthetic in my work would be beneficial, I have been experimenting with different media over this last semester with the intention of maintaining versatility, or at least learning what areas I'm proficient in. As I have no defined goal in terms of what aspect of the creative industry I would like to work, I feel this approach is logical in that respect.

My third, more specific concern surrounded the context dissertation which at the time of the discussions was yet to come. Although I am confidant in my writing ability, I have previously found essays to be stressful at times when working on them alongside my other work. As of now, I am more than half-way through my dissertation, having received encouraging feedback so far. I have greatly improved upon my own productivity rate with my writing, having adopted a different approach to preliminary research and organisation, which has helped me vastly. The rest of the dissertation will no-doubt continue to be a challenge, especially balancing my time between it and my other project, but I'm pleased with my progress so far.

In terms of the next semester (in which I shall be beginning my final major project), my aim is to once again draw upon my interests and bring them into the work in some way, hopefully in a manner that represents well all that I have explored so far in terms of both technique and subject matter. I also aim to have my dissertation comfortably completed before the final deadline in January, in order to avoid further stress and ensure that nothing is rushed.


No comments:

Post a Comment