Sunday 21 April 2013

1, 2, 3

One

One of the most significant pieces of advice I have been given this year, is to look into incorporating photography into my illustration. My interest in photography is evident in the ratio of photos to drawings featured on my blog, an observation which led a friend to jokingly remark earlier in the year that I had "chosen the wrong course". More than one person have commented on the compositional strength of certain works of mine, and their alikeness to something you might see in a photo. After having a couple of my photos featured in a college display, It was suggested by Gary that I look to introduce this interest to my illustration work in some way, a new direction I must experiment with- I feel it has potential.

Two

A suggestion that was made to me during the competition brief was to be more critical and discerning over my own work, in order to identify what ideas are best to carry forward from the early stages. This should mean less time spent on inferior ideas, and therefore more refined outcomes. The only issue is finding a balance between this, and creative experimentation.

Three

Finally, I have been advised to try to consciously consider "quality of line" more regularly when approaching illustrations- applying relevant techniques to subject matter. I generally automatically will start to draw in a sketchy manner regardless of the nature of the work, but more consideration may help improve.


No comments:

Post a Comment